Sunday, June 19, 2011

Oh Canawa!




A month or so ago, my wife brought home a new grain purchased at Whole Foods in Vancouver. I'd never heard of it and she had tasted a cold salad with an olive oil-lemon juice-parsley-garlic theme and raved about these little seeds.




I love sprouted quinoa (not a fan much of the seedier varieties unless I want hot and sweet breakfast cereal). I also find sprouted quinoa one of the quickest, easiest and most versatile lighter grains to work with. I've been on a kick of reducing my heavier/higher glycemic grain index consumption and decided to play with canawa yesterday.




We had precious little by way of fresh herbs (as in none!). So, this is just a rough draft and exercise for me of how this grain behaves. I couldn't find cooking ratios online and had to just go with my quinoa knowledge of 1 parts grain to 2 parts water.




I would have let it rest far longer the the 8-12 minutes one does for sprouted quinoa. It was a bit dry and mealy for me immediately following preparation. I preferred the canawa texture after a night in the refrigerator, soaking in olive oil, lemon juice and the carrots/chickpeas/caraway seeds/onion/garlic/dried dill/thyme/turmeric/pepper/salt you see above.




I am excited to try this with green olives, fresh cilantro and parsley, tomatoes and other tabouleh-like recipes.




I prefer sprouted quinoa at this point, but I am always up for an adventure with an ancient grain!




For more information on canawa, try this site.




Happy eatin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment